Friday 17 February 2012

The Tiered Elevator Pitch





For years, business people have been encouraged to develop an “elevator pitch”: Something that would describe their business, and could be given during a short elevator ride. As a management tool to help people focus on essentials, and to develop a succinct presentation, this has some benefit. As a marketing tool to help promote your company, it has limitations.

The most obvious being this: People who casually ask about your job don't really care.

It's like that adage about personal communications: “How are you?” is really a greeting, not a question.

However, a while back I came across this idea of a tiered introductory pitch which intrigued me. I couldn't find the reference in my personal library, and I don't remember the author (she was a Hollywood writer or agent, I believe), but I remember the concept and I think it has legs

Recognizing the problem mentioned above (most people don't really care about your answer), the tiered approach starts off with a teaser line. So, instead of saying “I am a real estate agent”, you might say “I help people find their dreams”. Instead of saying “I am an accountant”, you might say ”I am a master of the financial arts.

All of which leads to one of two responses:

  1. “Oh, How interesting. Have a nice day.” (They weren't interested anyway.
  2. “That's interesting. Please tell me more.” Or, “What do you mean by that?”

If you get the second response, they really are interested in hearing more, and you can give them a more traditional introduction that spells out what you do.

If you put some thought into this, you can even come up with a second line that is more specific, but still leaves some mystery. The listener is now truly engaged, and will pay close attention to your pitch.

Even if they aren't really focused on your answer, you have presented yourself as both interesting and memorable. That gives you an advantage.

This multi-step approach allows you to give your best, focused introduction to people who are really interested, and won't be bored with your answer. And having an engaged audience is always more fun.

Practical Tip of the Day:

  • Throw this idea out to your staff, and see what they come up with.
  • Perhaps, as a group, you can come up with 2-3 standard introductory pitches to use, depending on the situation.
  • Once you find some appropriate lines, practice them until they feel comfortable, AND THEN USE THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment about Small Business Marketing, or this blog? We would be glad to hear from you!